Who has the same problem: Your kombucha SCOBYs are growing so fast and you don’t know what to do with all those beautiful tea fungi? In this article we show you how to store and give your fungi a wonderful time in a SCOBY hotel.
Your friends and family do all have a SCOBY already and you are thinking about throwing some of your loved kombucha fungi away? Don’t do it! With this easy procedure you don’t have to lose a single SCOBY and it even looks pretty decorative.
What is a SCOBY hotel?
In a SCOBY hotel, a vessel filled with starter liquid, you can store your kombucha fungi with a little care up to several month or years. In a low PH value of 2,3-3,5 inside the starter liquid, your kombucha is immune towards foreign germs.
What do I need for a SCOBY hotel?
All you need to make your own SCOBY hotel you can easily order here*
- One big vessel with a lit or kitchen roll and rubber band*
- Starter liquid (10% of all liquid)*
- Sugared tea
- Your SCOBY leftovers
How do I store my SCOBY Hotel?
There are two possibilities
- Cover the glass as a normal batch with rubber band and kitchen roll. With this method, your kombucha SCOBYs will keep on growing on top and will be quickly active if you need them for a new batch
- Or you close the vessel with a lit and store it at a cool place like the fridge. With this methode the fungi need a long time to get back to their normal activity. Also the kombucha SCOBYs are more delicate for mould and the taste could be a bit weird for the first batch. Therefore, we recommend the first version.
How do I care for my SCOBY hotel?
After you put all your SCOBYs with starter Liquid inside the vessel, you should obey a few things
- Take off the yeasts: As you already know from the article: How do I get my kombucha fizzy? a disbalance between yeast and bacteria might have a negative impact on your kombucha fungi. If your vessel and SCOBYs have too many dark threads you have too many yeasts inside your glass. Those you must take out. Wash your SCOBY with lukewarm water. Now, let the starter liquid from the vessel rinse through a coffee filter into a bottle or other suitable vessel. During this process you filter out all yeasts you have too much from. Clean the SCOBY hotel until all deposits disappear and add the filtered starter liquid to the half of the glass afterwards. The other half you fill up with sugared tea. Now, your SCOBY hotel is ready for its guests again and can be stored.
- Cut your SCOBYs: The thicker your kombucha SCOBY is, the less oxygen goes into the vessel and gas is able to build up inside the liquid. To make sure the air is able to circulate, your SCOBYs need a special treatment. If your kombucha fungi are too thick, just cut them into half with a clean scissor and cut off the frayed ends.
- New starter liquid: The best starter for your SCOBY hotel is selfmade kombucha vinegar. How you can easily make kombucha vinegar you learn here For storing use 10% kombucha vinegar and the rest sugared tea. Afterwards not all the time you took out liquid it has to be filled up with fresh sugared tea. Only now and then to make sure all kombuchas are covered with liquid.
- Change SCOBYs: For keeping your kombucha fungi inside the hotel active, you can change your SCOBYs from your active batch now and then with the SCOBYs from the hotel. Therefore, all SCOBYS have active and rest phases which might have a positive effect on your cultures. At least they keep up their activity
Now, have fun with your SCOBY Hotel!
I would love to see some comments about your favourite recipes with kombucha tea and how you liked mine.
I am looking forward to see you again for my next recipes.
Watch also this video and many more regarding Kefir and Kombucha on my Youtube channel…
* This is an Affiliate-Link – Affiliate-Links are sponsored Links