What accessories do I need to make water kefir myself?
You are interested in making waterkefir yourself and do not know yet what all this is needed? No problem, here you will find all the necessary information including helpful tips for the simple production of waterkefir.
Fermentation vessel – Which material is suitable?
As with Kombucha, glass is best, in addition to the advantages that it is scratch-resistant and dishwasher safe, does not adversely affect the ph value in the fermentation vessel and unlike plastic no particles evolves in the content of the glass.
If the ceramic vessel contains no coating of metals or paints, food-grade ceramic is usable.
Again, as with ceramics, porcelain must be uncoated.
Fermentation vessel – Which material is NOT suitable?
Unfortunately, plastic is on the contra side, as long as it’s not a really high-quality plastic material, as scratches can easily form in plastic and release substances that can easily spread in your water kefir. This can not only flavourful , but especially health, lead to problems. Therefore, we advise against plastic.
Crystal vessels such as vases usually have a coating and are therefore also extremely unsuitable.
Unfortunately, metal is also not one of the suitable fermentation vessels, as this not only inhibits the growth of Wasserkefirs, but can even stop completely.
How big does the water kefir jar have to be?
The size of your fermentation vessel should depend primarily on your production volume. Ideally, you’ll need to recycle the batch more often to provide enough of the nutrients to the cultures. This means using a smaller fermenting vessel.
Cover your water kefir batch
The right cover is crucial for the success, since no oxygen into it, but should come out during the fermentation process carbon dioxide addition. If a glass with a screw cap is used, it must not be tightly closed, but only lightly tightened. Ideally, use your cling film, which is attached to the top with a sturdy and solid household rubber. Thus, no oxygen and no insects such as ants or fruit flies get into the water kefir batch, but the carbon dioxide can escape. With our special fermentation pack (Airlock) water kefir production is even easier.
NOT suitable cover of your waterkefir batch
Unsuitable as a closure are air-permeable lid and woven material (in addition to oxygen could also get small insects through the holes access to your kefir).
Ideal place during the fermentation
It is best to set your water kefir batch to a warm (ideally 24 degrees), sunny spot. When the sun is shining and the ideal temperature is reached, your batch will gain momentum, allowing you to produce your kefir in minimal time.
Even without direct sun, an absolutely good success is possible at any time.
You will receive the appropriate equipment in addition to the individual ingredients in excellent organic quality when ordering the “all-inclusive package”:
- 1 fermenting vessel with a capacity of 2.65 l for the preparation of your water jelly.
- 1 household rubber ring to optimally cover the fermentation vessel with cling film.
- 3 glass bottles of 0.75 l each to fill your water kefir after fermentation for safekeeping.
- 1 matching lid for the fermentation vat (but be careful, if you use it during fermentation, that it is not over tightened – Alternatively, you can also use our fermentation pack.
- 1 plastic sieve (dishwasher-safe) to after the fermentation process your delicious water kefir without dried fruit to refill and to be able to rid the remaining crystals of the dried fruit and rinse.
- 1 plastic funnel (dishwasher safe) to refill your watererkefir in the glass bottles
Place 1 plastic spoon around the remaining kefir crystal for storage or direct reuse.
- You will also receive detailed instructions on how to make your water kefir.
Should you have any questions, wishes or suggestions, I am always happy to receive a comment from you.
See you soon for the next recipes with kefir or kombucha …
Take a look at this video about waterkefir and many others on my Youtube channel …
* This is an Affiliate-Link – Affiliate-Links are sponsored Links