During summer I spend a lot of time outside. Whether in the park, in the swimming pool, it doesn’t matter because the main thing for me is to be outside in the sun and often with a yummie cup of ice cream. So good! I like vanilla ice cream best. Some might say that this is the most boring type of ice cream but for me this is pure summer and it simply reminds me of my childhood.
Do you know where vanilla comes from and why it is one of the most expensive spices in the world? Recently I did a little research on vanilla and I found out some interesting facts.
Originally Vanilla, which belongs to the class of orchids, comes from Mexico and Middle America. Already the ancient Aztecs were aware of its value. With Spanish colonial rulers it found its way to Europe and into Europe’s kitchens. Today vanilla is cultivated in Madagascar, Tahiti, Indonesia and on the island La Réunion from where it is exported all over the world. Real vanilla is one of the most expensive spices because of its costly cultivation and processing steps. In the supermarket you can find various favourable products with vanilla flavor. Cake, ice cream, pudding or yoghurt, all available with a taste of vanilla.
However the low price is not without reason because in fact there is no real vanilla inside but the artificial equivalent vanillin.
Since the 19th century real vanilla has been cultivated in tropical regions outside of Mexico. Until now the costly production is based on the fact that the pollination of the vanilla blossoms has to be done manually. This is because birds and insects which are important for the pollination only live in Mexico. Therefore vanilla has to be pollinated with a piece of bamboo wood or with a spike of a cactus.
And since I love vanilla so much I have a recipe for you which includes real vanilla: Kefir stracciatella cream. This cream is a perfect dessert with delicate aromas, healthy kefir and just a little amount of sugar.
To prepare the cream you will need:
- 200g cream
- 1 vanilla pod – get your vanilla from here*
- 200 ml of Kefir – my delicious organic Kefir waits here* for you
- 80g sugar – Organic sugar I use is waiting here*
- 50g bittersweet chocolate – I use this one here*
- 150g blackberries – try those dried ones here*
- Some mint leaves – grow your own mit with that kit here*
Did you get everything? Then put on your apron and get started!
- With a mixer whip the cream until it is stiff
- Fold in the kefir under the whipped cream
- Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise, scratch out the pulp with a knife and add it to the cream. Stir well
- Cut the chocolate into rough splitters and add them to the cream
- Fill the cream in small dessert bowls and garnish it with blackberries
and some mint leaves
Kefir Stracciatella Cream – Vanilla meets Organic Kefir, Blackberries and ChocolatePrint Recipe
- 150ml self-made probiotic milk kefir made from organic kefir grains
- 200g cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 50g bittersweet chocolate
- 150g blackberries
- Some mint leaves
- 80g sugar
With a mixer whip the cream until it is stiff
Fold in the kefir under the whipped cream
Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise, scratch out the pulp with a knife and add it to the cream. Stir well
Cut the chocolate into rough splitters and add them to the cream
Fill the cream in small dessert bowls and garnish it with blackberries and some mint leaves
…and now: enjoy!
I wish you a lot of fun by making this recipe and I am very excited to hear your opinions about this delicious kefir cream recipe. I would love to see some comments about your favourite recipes with milk kefir and how you liked mine.
I am looking forward to see you again for my next recipes.
Watch also this video and many more regarding Kefir and Kombucha on my Youtube channel…
* This is an Affiliate-Link – Affiliate-Links are sponsored Links